The Burma Star Association exists to relieve need, hardship or distress among men and women who served in HM and Allied Forces or the Nursing Services in the Burma Campaign of the 1939-45 war or are otherwise entitled to be holders of the Burma Star or Pacific Star with Burma Clasp and for their widows, widowers or dependants.
During 2015, the year which marked the 70th anniversary of V-J Day, Wendy Aldiss photographed over 200 allied Burma Veterans in the UK and a small selection in Burma (now Myanmar). Wendy’s father was part of 2nd Division in Burma during WWII.
For the first time Wendy’s collection of photographs will be displayed at the Army & Navy Club from 2 August to 15 August 2016. The exhibition will be curated by Karen Holbrook and is sponsored by the Burma Star Memorial Fund and ABF The Soldiers' Charity.
Tickets are free, but must be booked using Eventbrite.
A series of five evening lectures presented by authors and journalists will support the Exhibition. For details relating to these lectures, please click below for more information:
· Tuesday 2 August - Ethics and Photography, A talk by Mark Neville
· Thursday 4 August - Orde Wingate, A talk by Dr. Simon Anglim
· Tuesday 9 August - Perspectives on Leadership in WW2 in the Far East, A talk by Dr. Robert Lyman
· Thursday 11 August - African Veterans of the Burma Campaign, A talk by Barnaby Phillips
· Monday 15 August - War in the Wilderness: The Chindits in Burma, A talk by Tony Redding
Tickets for the lectures may be reserved by contacting the Events Office - email: Banqueting@TheRag.co.uk or telephone: 020 7827 8079.
The 2016 Annual Wreath Layings which take place on Horseguards Parade Ground and Whitehall, London on the 7th September.
The wreaths will be laid at Earl Mountbatten's Memorial (HGPG) at approximately 1130 and Field Marshal Slim's Memorial afterwards.