The Association is here to help Burma Star holders and their spouse/widow/widower. If you are not sure about whether we can help you, please
contact the Benevolence Secretary between 10am to 4pm Monday to Thursday.
Below are the welfare categories that the Association can provide assistance with:
- Residential and care home fees and care home costs
- Respite placements to cover hospitalisation of the carer
- Contribution to the costs of wheelchairs and electronic scooters (EPVs)
- Contribution to the costs of mobility aids, riser/recliner chairs, profiling beds and stir lifts
- Communication aids like Care Call, life line pendant, help with travelling expenses for hospital visits etc.
- Contribution to the cost of miscellaneous alterations and home repairs – bath lifts or low level showers, entrance alterations required because of mobility or disability, central heating/boiler
repairs etc., windows and doors repairs to or replacements
- Personal aids
- Household items (washing machine, refrigerator or furniture etc.)
- Sundry debts (utility bills etc.)
In order for us to help the most needy and frail we ask that people requesting assistance meet the following criteria:
- You do not have more than £10,000 in savings – this includes investments, ISAs and Permium bonds etc. (this does NOT however include the value of the home!)
- You are prepared to allow a caseworker to visit you in your home to complete an application form. You may of course have a family member present during the meeting if that is your
- Where an application is for a home improvement grant (DFG) towards a bathroom conversion or a stair lift that has been refused by a local council, please keep all the correspondence as it will
assist greatly in speeding up the process. If you are struggling with energy bills, please have the latest bill available.
The focus of the Association continues to be to provide help and assistance to people who wish to remain in their own homes. Applications for assistance towards the cost of an item that you
have already purchased are not accepted. Making a decision in most cases only takes a week or so and therefore if the item is required urgently then please contact the Benevolence Secretary prior to purchase.